-A A +A

Housing/Care homes

Housing/Care homes

This section of the website gives you more information about:

Extra care housing
Extra care housing is sometimes called ‘very sheltered housing’ and offer care and support 24 hours a day. Some are new purpose built retirement villages; others are modernised sheltered housing schemes with extra services on site and are designed to support the needs of people with physical disabilities or a learning disability and older people who need that little bit extra care and support.
Sheltered housing
Sheltered housing offers the benefits of a secure tenancy and a Sheltered Housing member of staff to respond in an emergency or to provide advice and support if needed. A person will have their own front door, with the peace of mind of being in a safe and supportive community with people of a similar age, a 24 hour alarm service should they need help in an emergency and opportunities to join in social activities.
Supported living and accommodation
There are other types of supported living and accommodation available in the Borough.  The link on the right links to supported living accomodation available for people who may have a learning disability, physical disability, hearing or sight loss or who might need other types of additional support due to mental health problems or substance misuse.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing in Barking and Dagenham is for people aged 55 and over, or people with a registered disability who receive a Disability Living Allowance. Extra Care Housing could be a good choice for you if, because of your care needs, you:

  • Are no longer able to live at home even with support; but
  • May be considering a residential care home.

If a person wants to find out about living in Extra Care Housing, they will need to have an assessment.

To find out more information, click the links below or see the services under 'Related Services'.

What is Extra Care housing?

Extra Care Housing offers the chance to live independently for as long as possible. One can enjoy the independence and privacy of having their own self contained flat or bungalow, and the security of knowing there are trained care staff on-site or nearby.

Extra Care Housing in Barking and Dagenham is provided through the Council and in partnership with Anchor Housing Association and Hanover Housing Association.

There are eight Extra Care Housing schemes in the borough: five in Dagenham, two in Barking, and one in Marksgate. Four of these schemes have 24 hour care, and the other four have care staff available between 7.00am and 11.00pm. They provide personal care, support, and arrange social activities.

The flats and bungalows are all self contained and include:

  • One or two bedrooms
  • A bathroom
  • A kitchen
  • A toilet.

There are also shared facilities at the schemes, which makes it easy to make new friends and enjoy different activities. These facilities might include:

  • Lounges
  • A laundry
  • Gardens
  • A library
  • A gym
  • Internet and computer access
  • A cinema.

Most schemes will have specially adapted bathroom facilities in the shared areas for people who need help with washing.

How much does it cost?

An assessment will not cost anything, but there is a charge to live in Extra Care Housing.

Part of the assessment will include a financial assessment, to see how much the person can afford to pay. They may have to pay some or all of their costs, but this will be explained to them when they have their assessment.

What is an assessment?

There legal right to have an assessment from the Council if it appears that a person needs care and support.

If a person is eligible for social care services, they will carry out an assessment with the person to decide exactly what kind of help they need. They will go through the assessment with them to decide how to answer each question. The person can ask for someone to be there to support them like a family carer.

An assessment is simply talking to a person and any other people involved in their care and support so the Council can understand what help might be needed on a day to day basis. The Council will make sure that the person is at the centre of the assessment and that the person agrees with their assessment. The Council wants the person to have choice and control over decisions about the support needed. The Council will record the information the person and other people provide and, with the person's agreement and will share some of the information with other services, such as the NHS.

What will you ask me?

During the assessment, they will ask about:

  • Personal details;
  • Any current health issues;
  • How the person feel about your current circumstances;
  • How the person and their family or carer feels about your current circumstances;
  • Previous services they may have received;
  • Any religious or cultural needs they have;
  • Finances and any benefits received*;
  • Any issues that may affect the care needed, such as mental health difficulties or sensory impairments, or a learning disability;
  • Housing situation;
  • Whether there is an unpaid or informal carer;
  • Personal care needs - what one can and can't do;
  • Mobility;
  • Nutritional needs and any help one might need with eating;
  • Day to day living, such as shopping or cleaning;
  • Relationships and social involvement;
  • Ability to make choices and take control;
  • Whether one feels at at risk, and if they feel safe; and
  • Any parenting responsibilities they might have.

* The finances and benefits section is quite detailed. This part of the assessment is to find out whether the person will be asked to pay part or all of the costs of their care, so it is important that the correct information is given.

The Local Authority aim to carry out assessments as quickly as possible, but some people will need to be assessed more quickly if their circumstances are urgent. Assesments are usually completed within a month.

Is it confidential?

Information given during the assessment is treated as confidential. Only staff who are involved in providing the services will have any information. Information with other services will need consent. In exceptional circumstances there may be a requirement to share information, for example if the Council believe someone's safety is at risk or the law requires it.

Is there a cost to have an assessment?

No - an assessment will be carried out free of charge.

What happens after the assessment?

A copy of the assessment is given to the person the assesment is about. With the person's consent a copy can be given to their carer. An assessment helps to decide whether the Council can offer help, and the amount and type of support needed. This decision is based on national criteria. To find out more visit:http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/assessment-care-needs.aspx

If a decision is made that the person is not eligible for help from the Council, they will still give advice about where to go for support.

If the person is eligible for support:

The Council will arrange a support plan.

The person may be required to pay for some or all of their care and support services. The Council will arrange for a financial assessment to be undertaken. This will determine whether the council is able to fund some or all of the services required, or whether the person needs to contribute towards some or all of these costs.

What happens if a person disagrees with the assessment?

Disagreement with the outcome of the assessment, one can ask the Council to reconsider their decision. Either ask the Assessor, or see the information on how to make a complaint on the Council website.

How to make a Complaint

Reviews are needed to identify if there are any changes to a person's needs 

What is a review?

A review will be arranged by a social worker to look at the support received to make sure it is still meeting the person's needs. If their needs have changed, the social worker will re-assess them and decide what support is needed. Support may stay the same, increase or be less or different types of support. The review will also give a chance to discuss the quality of care the person receives.

How often will I there be a review?

Reviews are conducted at least once a year. However if the person's needs change an assessment will be undertaken earlier. If circumstances change, please contact the Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915, or by email atIntaketeam@lbbd.gov.uk

Who will be involved in the review?

The review will involve the person needing the review and a social worker and the following if appropriate:

  • Care provider
  • Carer or relatives
  • An advocate
  • GP  

The person being assessed is the most important person at the review. The Local Authority will ask the person being assessed who they wish to be present at the review.

What will happen if the social worker decides the support needs have changed?

If the social worker decides the support needs have changed they will talk to the person being assessed about this at the review.

If the person being assessed is not happy with the decisions made at the review they can talk to the social worker. The social worker will answer questions about the assessment and why the person is no longer entitled to the same level of support.

If the person is not not happy with the decision they are entitled to make a complaint.

Supported living and accommodation

Supported housing is for people over 18 who need help to live independently, in a safe environment with some support.

Many of the Supported Housing schemes in the borough cater for different groups. You can apply to live in Supported Housing if the person has a:

  • Physical disability;
  • Learning disability;
  • Mental health related problems;
  • Drug or alcohol related issues;
  • Vulnerable adult with children;
  • At risk of domestic violence; or
  • Need a great deal of help with living at home.

For more information, please see the information links below or see the 'Related Services' section on the right of the page.

Supported housing

What is Supported Housing?

Moving into Supported Housing can provide a person with the help they need to live more independently. There will be trained staff on hand to give advice and the support that is needed, but helping the person to maintain their independence.  They will also have the indedepnedence of living in their own home and the keys to their front door.

Useful contacts

Adult Intake and Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462
Email: IntakeTeam@lbbd.gov.uk

80 Gascoigne Road

What is 80 Gascoigne Road?

80 Gascoigne Road is one of a number of small residential care homes based in the borough.  80 Gascoigne Road is in Barking, not far from the town centre. It is run by the Council and provides accommodation and specialist support to adults who have a moderate to severe learning disability and also a physical disability, sensory impairment or challenging behaviour.

There is accommodation for 12 permanent residents, with care provided 24 hours a day by a trained and skilled staff team.

Who can live there?

80 Gascoigne Road provides care for people aged between 18 and 65 who have profound and complex needsand who may need a high level of support and care.  In order to be offered a place at 80 Gascoigne Road, you will need to be referred by the Community Learning Disabilities Team.

Getting in touch

Community Learning Disability Team
Phone: 020 8227 5432

Please contact me about this service

Residential homes

There are many different residential homes in the Barking and Dagenham area. Most of them are independently run by a variety of organisations.

A residential home will provide a person with accommodation, meals, and care and support from trained care staff who are available 24 hours a day. There is access to a doctor and visiting district nurses for any health needs.

Please click on the links below to find out more information about residential homes.  Links to residential homes in Barking and Dagenham can be found under 'Related Services' on the right.

Should I go into a residential home?

The Council can provide lots of support for a person at home with trained carers visiting you during the day to help with meals, washing, going to the toilet and getting in and out of bed. You can find out more about the kind of help they can give you at home by clicking the button below.

Can I keep living at home?

However a person might need more help than this, and may be considering moving to a residential care home.

Going into a residential care home means a person giving up their own home to move into a care home to be looked after, usually with other people.  They will usually get their own room and will be able to take some treasured possessions with them.

Staff in the home are trained and the home has to meet certain standards. The manager of the home is checked and registered with CQC. If a person is placed in a home by the council the Council will visit them after about six to eight weeks to see how they are, and whether they still need to be in a home.

Going into a residential care home is a big decision and a decision not to take when a person is in hospital, or after a crisis such as a fall.  A person should try the help and support at home and given time before they come to their decision.  As a carer you may want your cared for to go into a residential care home because you are worried about their care need and or safety, but you must remember it is the decision of the person you are caring for.

Is a care home really the right answer?

The Council will carry out an assessment with the person if they need lots of care and support. This will tell the Council what kind of support they need.

How do I choose a residential home?

All registered care homes are monitored and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in order to make sure they keep to high standards.

Clicking the button below will take you to the CQC's website, and a list of all the care homes in the borough. This list will tell you how big the homes are, who they cater for, and what facilities they have.

Visit the CQC's list of care homes

How much will it cost?

Part of the assessment we will carry out will be a financial assessment. Depending on a person's financial circumstances they may have to pay towards the cost of residential care.  The government sets regulations about how much Councils should charge.

Is there help with the cost?

It is possible. If a person wants the Council to arrange a place in a residential home, and need financial support from the Council to help pay for it, then the Council will look at the person's financial assessment. Find out more about this by clicking the button below.

Paying for a residential home

Barking and Dagenham Care Directory 2014/15

This directory can provide valuable information about local homecare agencies and care homes.

Click here to see the Barking and Dagenham Care Directory 2014/15

The Barking and Dagenham Care Directory is a publication that has been produced by London Care Directories to find out more about what they do please visit their website http://www.londoncaredirectories.co.uk/ 

Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE)

The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) is developing a website that will help people to make choices about care. It will cover all types of care and support for adults including regulated and unregulated services in England. It will provide links to specialist websites (including local services, specialist and independent financial advisers). 

Find me good care

Contact the Adult Intake and Access Team for help and advice about your housing options. Call them on: 020 8227 2915.

A residential home usually isn't the right answer...

If an older person's wife, husband or partner dies.

It is incredibly hard to lose a partner, and it takes a long time to deal with. If your partner dies, you should wait at least a year before making big decisions like selling your home, leaving the area or moving in with relatives. Family members should not encourage you to move simply because your partner has died. 

If a person becomes confused or develops dementia.

Sometimes, older people find that their memory is not as good as it used to be. They may start to forget dates, or become confused in places they do not know well. Most people who experience some loss of memory will be more comfortable in their own homes - where they feel secure and they know where things are.

If an older person starts to forget things or shows signs of being confused, families may feel that they want the "peace of mind" of having their mum or dad cared for in a care home.

Although the Local Authority understand that you might feel that placing your mum or dad in a care home would put your mind at ease, the  Local Authority have to put the person with dementia needs first. We know that, for many people, leaving their own home adds to their confusion. Being in a place they don't know can quickly make them more anxious and confused. Some people in care homes do not see their families as much as they did when they were in their own homes.

If you are worried that they might fall or wander.

Some people in their 70s or 80s feel that their family thinks they should not live alone, because "something might happen". Often with the best of intentions, families can put their peace of mind above the needs of their vulnerable older relatives. But life does involve taking risks.

The Local authority try to tell family members that, while people may fall in their own homes, they may also fall in a care home. People may be more likely to fall in a care home because they are in a place they are not familiar with and there may be things (such as walking sticks) leaning against chairs, or spills on the floor. People who wander can still wander away from care homes.

If you are worried that they are lonely.

If someone has tended not to mix with people all their life, they are not likely to want to mix with other people just because they live in the same care home. Residential care is not always the best way to provide company for lonely relatives. Attending a day service is a great way to meet people, be entertained and looked after.  But some people prefer their own company or prefer to be on their own.

If they have been in hospital.

Generally, they would not advise someone in hospital to move directly into a care home. It is really difficult to see what care and support someone in a hospital bed will need when they return home. People leaving hospital need carefully planned support so that we can see how they cope in their own homes.

Many people improve in stages when they return home from hospital. Often, they become less confused, their appetite increases and they sleep better in their own bed.

Changes in the law since the 1980s

The NHS and Community Care Act 1990 brought major changes to the way that we support adults with care needs today. The law aims to help people to stay in their homes for as long as possible. We have a range of different services to support people in their own homes for longer. 

Other types of accommodation

There are many different types of accommodation offering different types and levels of care. Some types of accommodation have a warden who will support residents, and some, like Extra Care Housing, have qualified care staff who live on-site and who can give support to residents at any time of the day or night. 

Go back to our Housing Options pages and look at other possibilities

Different types of Home Care Services

There is a range of services to support people to live in their own homes. We provide some of these, while some are provided by voluntary organisations or purchased by the Council. We provide funding to a range of voluntary organisations to provide community services to our residents. Continuing to live at home could be easier than you think.

Find out more about staying at home

We are committed to helping people be more independent in their own homes. We can provide a Personal Budget, where we give you or your carer money to pay for your own support services. We can help you decide which services you want and help you choose where you want them from. For more help and advice, contact the Adult Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915.

Paying for a residential home

What are the charges?

If a person has to go into a residential care home, they will have to pay towards this but they don't need to worry. The amounts depend on their income (how much they have coming in each week), and their assets (their savings, investments and the value of any property they own). The Councilwill help to calculate this, and usually the residential home staff will help with this too. The charges will never stop you getting the care you need.

How much will a person have to pay?

How much will depend on how much money the person has. When the Council will look at the person's finances to work out how much they will have to pay. Regulations about how much should be charged are set by the government.

If there are savings or investments which are over £23,250 the person will have to pay the full cost of their stay in the home.

The Council also take into account any savings between £14,250 and £23,250, as well as income which will help decide how much a person will be charged.

The following payments count towards income:

  • Any pensions or wages the person receive;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Income Support; or
  • Any extra social security benefits the person may be entitled to claim for their stay in the home.

The Council do not count:

  • Disability Living Allowance; or
  • Attendance Allowance.

If the person does not want to tell the Council about their financial situation they do not have to do so - but the Council may then ask them to pay the full costs of their care.

What if the person is only going in for a short stay?

If they do not expect to stay at the home for more than six weeks then there is a fixed weekly charge of £75.35.

What if a person's savings run out?

If your assets drop below the thresholds your assessment will be reviewed.

Will the person have to sell their home?

The Council will not count the value of the person's home as part of their income if any of the following apply:

  • your husband, wife or partner continues to live there;
  • a relative aged 60 or over continues to live there;
  • a relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there; or
  • a child under 16 you are financially responsible for continues to live there.

Sometimes other conditions apply which the council can take into account when they are deciding if the value of a person's house should be included in their income. For futher help or advice then please get in touch with,

Adult Intake and Access Team
Phone: 020 8227 2915
Minicom: 020 8227 2462
Email: IntakeTeam@lbbd.gov.uk

Adult and Community Services Financial Assessment Team
Address: 90 Stour Road, Dagenham, RM10 7DE
Phone: 020 8227 2390

Caring for someone with dementia

A lot of people are living with dementia in the community. It is becoming much more common because it can be associated with old age and we are living longer. This means more people are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. This can be hard emotionally and physically.

Caring for someone with dementia can be a very difficult task. People with dementia need a lot of support and care: and so do their carers.

As a carer, you might need to:

  • Understand dementia better;
  • Learn how to respond to the changes in behaviour that dementia can cause;
  • Find out what financial and legal help is available to you;
  • Explore care options for the person you care for; and
  • Prepare for the future.

Click here for more information about being a carer

There are a number of local and national organisations that can offer support and guidance incuding our services as follows

Carers of Barking and Dagenham
Address: 334 Heathway, Dagenham, Essex, RM10 8NJ
Phone: 020 8593 4422
Web: www.carerscentre.org.uk
Email: carers@carerscentre.org.uk

 A support network for carers in the borough. Meet other carers, get advice and information, and attend the Memory Lane Resource Centre. This is a special service especially for people with dementia and their carers.

Older Adults Mental Health Services in Barking & Dagenham
Address: Broad Street Centre, Morland Road, Dagenham, Essex. RM10 9HU
Phone: 0300 555 1016

A team committed to helping older people to deal with mental health problems.

Admiral Nursing DIRECT
Phone: 0300 555 1016
Email: direct@dimentiauk.org

Admiral Nurses are specially trained to care for people with dementia.

If you need support or think that you need Adult Social Care Services, call the Adult Intake and AccessTeam on 020 8227 2915.