-A A +A

Time out or a short break

Time out or a short break for you(respite)

We know that caring for someone else can be hard. Sometimes just having a short break from your day to day responsibilities can be all that is needed to help you continue to care for your relative, neighbour or friend.

We know that caring for someone else can be difficult. Many carers find that they suffer from stress, tiredness and sometimes poor health. It can be hard to enjoy a social life or have any hobbies. Having a short break while someone else carries out your caring duties can give you time to relax, and in the long term can help you fulfil your role as a carer. If you care for someone else 24 hours a day, seven days a week, a break from your caring role is not a luxury – it is essential.

What is respite care?

Respite care can offer you short periods of time away from your caring role, and you can feel confident that the person you care for is safe and well looked after. Respite care can be provided at home and in day centres, or in some cases in residential homes for a short period.

Who can get respite care?

You can ask for respite care if you care for a friend or loved one who is an older person, has a learning or physical disability, or a mental health problem. You and the person you care for might need to have an assessment to find out what kind of support you need.

If you need support and advice, or want to apply for the services in your own right you can request a Carers Assessment contact the Adult Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915.

Personal care, for the person needing carer in their home

What is available?

Home care can help people of all ages with living at home, in many different situations. We can:

  • Provide short term support to help you get back on your feet at home after an illness or time in hospital (we call this "reablement");
  • Help you use your Personal Budget to arrange long term support if you need it from an independent registered home care agency; or
  • Provide help for carers at home.

Who can get help?

The London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Social Services Team make sure they provide services to people in Barking and Dagenham who need them most, for example people who can no longer care for themselves. They will carry out an assessment to see whether they can help pay for a home care service.

What is an assessment?

If they cannot provide help, they will still give you advice about where you can get help and the kind of equipment that might make living at home easier for you.

Is it safe to let people into my home?

All home care agencies, including home care provided by the Council, are registered by an independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC). CQC make sure the service reaches minimum standards and inspects services regularly. They publish their reports on the following websites.

Visit the CQC's website for more information

Visit the LBBD website to find out more

Paying for home care services

How much does Home Care cost?

The charging system for home care services may seem complicated, but it has been designed to try and make sure everybody's needs are met fairly.

Home carers can help you with using the toilet, dressing, washing, getting in and out of bed, preparing meals, and doing your laundry. They can also help you recover from an illness by encouraging you to follow the recovery programme provided by your doctor.

Getting in touch

The first point of contact for information about home care services should be the Adult Intake and Access Team. You can telephone them on 020 8227 2915.

Please contact me about this service

Short stay away from home for the person you care for

A short break away from home in a residential or nursing home can be arranged on a temporary basis. This is sometimes known as respite care. It can provide a welcome change for the person being cared for as well as giving you a much needed break.

Shared Lives Service

This service can be used for long or short periods of time. It can help you to see what it's like to live somewhere else, or just give you a change of scene. It can also give your own carer some time for themselves to relax and take it easy, which means they will also have a short break as well. We call this "respite."