-A A +A

Domestic violence

Domestic violence

If you are being abused, threatened or physically or sexually assaulted by a partner, or a former partner, or a family member, that is domestic violence.

If you are worried that somebody will see you looking at these pages and you need to navigate away from them quickly, click the Emergency Exit button below. It will take you to the BBC homepage.

Emergency Exit

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is when a partner, ex-partner or a family member uses physical, sexual, emotional or financial violence to get you to do what they want. Some abusers will use all four types of violence, and some will use one or two.  It can happen when people live together or in different houses. 

The government definition is:

"Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are, or who have been, intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality. This includes violence such as female genital mutilation, so-called 'honour' crimes, forced marriage and acts of gender-based violence".

Click here for more information of different types of abuse.

Say NO to abuse booklet is designed to offer information on abuse for example what is abuse, the types of abuse and who to contact if you know of or become a victim of abuse.

Sexual and Domestic Violence Directory of Services

This directory provides information and contact details for organisations offering advice and support to those affected by Domestic and/or sexual violence. The directory also includes information on support available for those affected by Harmful Practices which include Forced Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation and crimes in the name of ‘Honour’.

To make this as easily accessible as possible, services have been arranged into sections to assist you in your search for support with specific issues. There is a short description at the beginning of each section explaining the type of support offered.

Sexual and Domestic Violence Directory of Services

Who might be a victim?

Domestic violence happens across all communities, faiths and cultures. Most often, domestic violence is committed by men against women, but it also happens in gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender relationships. Sometimes women abuse men. Sometimes other family members may be involved.

Children and young people are also affected by domestic violence. Their health and overall well-being can be affected by living in a household where there is any form of domestic violence.

How do I get help?

Domestic violence is serious. It can get worse, with more serious acts of violence happening over time. It doesn't tend to stop on its own. It causes harm to the adult victims and children get affected too. It is important to get help to stop it.

In an emergency you should call 999 and ask for the police- they will come to your house at any time of the day.

If you are not in immediate danger you can contact specialist domestic violence support services in Barking and Dagenham that can provide help.

Barking and Dagenham Independent Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocacy Service

Phone: 020 8591 3498

This service provides short-term support for all victims of domestic violence, including:

• Practical advice and information
• Legal advice on applying for injunctions and information on police procedures
• Advice on your legal rights to your home, and help to find somewhere else to live if you want to leave
• Help to increase the security of your home through the Sanctuary Project; and
• Referrals to relevant specialists and counselling

The Domestic Violence Advocacy Service works closely with the Police, Housing, the Homeless Persons Unit, Social Care Services, Eaves Housing for Women, Victim Support, drug and alcohol teams and local solicitors.

Long term support can be arranged on your behalf through liaison with other agencies depending on services required.

National Domestic Violence Helpline
Phone: 0808 2000 247
Web: http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/

Independent, confidential, free services provided by women, for women who are or have been affected by domestic violence. Including one-to-one counselling, representation, support groups and workshops. Lines are open from 9.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Victim Support Barking and Dagenham
Phone: 020 8550 2410 / 2807 / 7865 
Web: www.victimsupport.org.uk

An independent national charity that helps you cope with being a victim of crime. They can offer you someone to talk to in confidence, give you information on police and court procedures, and on compensation and insurance.

Woman’s Trust East
Phone: 020 7034 0303 or 020 7034 0304
Web: http://www.womanstrust.org.uk/

Independent, confidential, free services provided by women, for women who are or have been affected by domestic violence. Including one-to-one counselling, representation, support groups and workshops. Lines are open from 9.30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

East London Rape Crisis Service

The East London Rape Crisis service will cover the Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Hackney, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.

The East London service will provide vital counselling and long term support for both men and women for those aged 14 and over who have been raped or sexually abused.

You can contact the service by phoning the London Rape Crisis helpline on 0808 802 9999.  The phone line is open every day of the year from midday to 2.30pm and 7pm to 9.30pm.

Haven Whitechapel
Phone: 020 7247 4787
Web: http://www.thehavens.co.uk/

A centre for women, men and children who have been raped or sexually assaulted. Staff are specially trained to offer medical help, advice, counselling, practical and emotional support.

Don't suffer in silence.

Related Advice

  • What is abuse?
    What is abuse? Abuse can come in many forms, in different places, and at different times. No matter who is doing it, or where it is happening, it is still abuse. Who is an adult at risk? Some adults may be less able to protect.