Over the Wall provides FREE residential activity camps for children and teenagers living with serious health challenges and their families to enable them to reach beyond their perceived limitations and rediscover a whole new world of possibilities. Their camps help develop the confidence, self esteem, coping strategies and peer relationships of their campers. Their programmes include Health Challenge Camps for children and teenagers aged 8-17 who are experiencing or have recently experienced serious health challenges, Sibling Camps for children and teenagers aged 8-17 who have a brother or sister (of any age) who is currently receiving treatment or experiencing health challenges and Family Camps for families who have a child or teenager from birth to 17 who is currently receiving treatment of experiencing health challenges.
To ensure every child is able to benefit from their camp programme they must:
- have the physical ability to participate in an action-packed activity programme with a range of high and low energy activities
- have the social and emotional ability to participate in a group setting and team activities with children of their own age
- be able to communicate their needs independently
- be able to transfer from chair to floor and floor to chair without assistance if they use a wheelchair
Unfortunately they are unable to accept campers who:
- have learning, behavioural or social communication needs that would prevent them from participating in age appropriate group activities
- are more than 2 years off treatment, if they do not have any ongoing health cha;;enges
- need overnight care/intervention/monitoring, or health care needs that require constant one support
- have cystic fibrosis or primary ciliary dyskinesia (due to the risk of cross-infection and infection to immunocompromised campers)
- are on a ketogenic diet
All their activities are intentionally designed to be challenging and fun with therapeutic recreation at their core.Some of the most popular activities include climbing, arts and crafts, drama, music, archery, games, talent night, disco and many more. To ensure camps are accessible to as many children and young people as possible they offer coach transport from major cities across the UK. Limited places are available on each coach and each place is subject to assessment and availability.
For more information contact or telephone 02392 477110 or click HERE to visit the website.