Crime prevention advice
There are number of ways that the Local Authority can support you to stay safe.
The following are ways you can keep safe in both your home and when out and about in the community.
Crime prevention information
There are many ways to help prevent crime from affecting you. We have lots of advice and tips on keeping safe in your home and whilst out and about, please click the link below to find out more.
Click on the related links on the right to find out more about:
- Putting criminals behind bars through an anonymous freephone number: 0800 555 111.
- Information on ways to contact the borough's Safer Neighbourhood Teams.
- Barking and Dagenham pages of the Police's website.
- Addresses of the police stations situated in the borough.
- Victim support is a charity which helps people cope with the effects of crime.
We are committed to making Barking and Dagenham a safer place for people to live, work and to learn through.
Lift, lock and remove
A large number of residents have UPVC front doors. The Safer Neighbourhoods Team have found that burglars are breaking into homes by forcing open UPVC doors if they have not been locked by the occupier.
If you have a UPVC door, when you leave your property or go to bed at night, make sure that after you close it you lift the handle, lock it with the key and then remove your key and place it somewhere safe so that you could find it quickly in an emergency.
If you believe a property is being burgled or someone is acting suspiciously call 999 immediately. If the crime you are reporting is not an immediate emergency then please can 101. Please don't stand by if you suspect a crime is being committed. Police would rather attend a dozen false alarms than miss the opportunity to prevent a local resent from becoming a victim of burglary.
The effects of burglary go far deeper than a loss of property, please help us to put a stop to this crime.
Tips for keeping your property safe;
- Keep valuables somewhere safe and out of sight.
- Fit and use a door chain overnight and when answering the front door.
- Close and lock doors and windows when going out and at night.
- Thieves don't like being 'lit up'. Outdoor sensor lights are VERY effective against burglars.
- Lower front boundaries (i.e. hedges and fences). These can provide cover for burglars.
- Have high side and rear boundaries and use anti climbing devices such as trellis and spiky planting.
- Consider installing extra locks on windows and patio doors.
- Have property security marked by your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team.
- Secure side gates, sheds and garages with strong padlocks.
- Don't hesitate to report any suspicious activity to the police.
If you need crime prevention advice to keep you and your property safe, please contact Your Safer Neighbourhoods Team below to arrange an appointment.
Also, make sure you lock your;
- Rear doors
- Garage doors
- Shed doors
- Side and rear gates
- And keep your valuables out of sight
For more information on staying safe take a look at our Lift, Lock and Remove Leaflet
Barking and Dagenham Safer Neighbourhood Teams
The officers on your Safer Neighbourhoods team spend most of their time out on patrol in your neighbourhood, meeting the community and identifying and dealing with those crimes and issues you have told us cause you most concern. Therefore, your team adjusts its shift pattern to address these priority issues.
Your Safer Neighbourhoods team wants to hear from you. If your call is not answered, please do leave a message on the answerphone or send them an email. A member of the team will get back to you.
Safer Neighbourhoods teams are not there to provide a 24-hour response, this is the role of response team officers. Response team officers do pass on information to Safer Neighbourhoods teams as appropriate.
So please note, these contact details should not be used for any communication that might require an emergency response. In an emergency you should dial 999.
These addresses are not open to the public. Should you wish to meet a member of your team to discuss any matters, please phone or email your team.
Abbey Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2786
Alibon Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2511
Becontree Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2536
Chadwell Heath Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2902
Eastbrook Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 0208 721 2538
Eastbury Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2572
Gascoigne Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2787
Goresbrook Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 0208 649 3528
Heath Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 0208 721 2571
Longbridge Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 0208 721 2573
Mayesbrook Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2788
Parsloes Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2574
River Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2575
Thames Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8649 3529
Valence Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8721 2537
Village Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 020 8649 3530
Whalebone Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Phone: 0208 721 2834
If you have information about anyone who is involved in burglary or the sale of stolen goods contact your Safer Neighbourhoods Team or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, you may even be eligible for a cash reward. Make the call and leave the rest to us.