Our IAS service provides support and guidance for parent carers and young people with Special Educational Needs.
As a parent or carer of a child with Special Educational Needs you could be caring for a child who has:
- a physical disability
- a problem with sight, hearing or speech
- learning difficulties
- emotional or behavioural problems
- difficulties with reading, writing or mathematical work
- other more general difficulties with school work
Independent Parental Supporters
IASS can provide an Independent Parental Supporter: a totally confidential service, fully independent of school and the Local Education Authority. They can provide:
- free advocacy
There are many ways an Independent Parental Supporter (IPS) can offer help, these include:
· Converting statements into EHC plans.
· Support you in applying for an EHC assessment.
· Support you during the entire 14 weeks or 20 weeks process.
· Can refer you on to an IASS advisor for high level support
· Support families and young people to explore aspirations and outcomes.
· Support families to work with relevant agencies
· Give information about the Local Offer.
· Give information about personal budgets.
· Can attend meetings with you during the process.
There are many ways our Information, Support Advice Service (IASS) can help, these include:
· If you are a young person or a parent carer, we can help you to express your or your child's views and aspirations to be included in Education Health Care Plan (EHC)
· Help you understand the SEN process
· Space to talk and time to listen. We take your views seriously.
· Support at meetings such as Reviews, Annual Reviews and Transition
· We can speak on your behalf if you need us to but help you gain new skills for the future.
· Practical help, including the writing of letters
· Support in talking with professional to help you express your views.
· Preparation and support for exclusion meetings
· Mediation and signposting
· Preparation for tribunal
· Telephone support
· Regular newsletter
· Access to training.
· Signposting to other in-house projects
· Signposting to other services.
Check out our new leaflet on the red link here.
http://CYP.iassnetwork.org.uk-The website is aimed at CYP - supporting them to understand what their rights are and how they can access support