Our IAS service provides support and guidance for parent carers and young people with Special Educational Needs.
As a parent or carer of a child with Special Educational Needs you could be caring for a child who has:
- a physical disability
- a problem with sight, hearing or speech
- learning difficulties
- emotional or behavioural problems
- difficulties with reading, writing or mathematical work
- other more general difficulties with school work
Independent Parental Supporters
IASS can provide an Independent Parental Supporter: a totally confidential service, fully independent of school and the Local Education Authority. They can provide:
- free advocacy
There are many ways an Independent Parental Supporter (IPS) can offer help, these include:
· Converting statements into EHC plans.
· Support you in applying for an EHC assessment.
· Support you during the entire 14 weeks or 20 weeks process.
· Can refer you on to an IASS advisor for high level support
· Support families and young people to explore aspirations and outcomes.
· Support families to work with relevant agencies
· Give information about the Local Offer.
· Give information about personal budgets.
· Can attend meetings with you during the process.
There are many ways our Information, Support Advice Service (IASS) can help, these include:
· If you are a young person or a parent carer, we can help you to express your or your child's views and aspirations to be included in Education Health Care Plan (EHC)
· Help you understand the SEN process
· Space to talk and time to listen. We take your views seriously.
· Support at meetings such as Reviews, Annual Reviews and Transition
· We can speak on your behalf if you need us to but help you gain new skills for the future.
· Practical help, including the writing of letters
· Support in talking with professional to help you express your views.
· Preparation and support for exclusion meetings
· Mediation and signposting
· Preparation for tribunal
· Telephone support
· Regular newsletter
· Access to training.
· Signposting to other in-house projects
· Signposting to other services.
Check out our new leaflet on the red link here.
http://CYP.iassnetwork.org.uk-The website is aimed at CYP - supporting them to understand what their rights are and how they can access support
If you or your child are going through an annual review process please click HERE to view a video for some anuual review process guidance.