-A A +A

Mental Health

Mental health

Your mental health and wellbeing is just as important as your physical health and wellbeing. Help and information is available if you think you need it.

Where to go if there is a problem

Your first stop should be your doctor. They know your medical history and can help you to decide what kind of support and treatment you need.

Don't feel worried about going to your doctor. They are there to help with your mental health as well as your physical health, so if you are feeling anxious or depressed, they will be able to help you. They will try to find out what's bothering you. It could be anything from stress at work to relationship problems. Your doctor will be able to suggest the kind of help and support you might need. They might prescribe medicine, suggest you have counselling, or refer you to the Community Mental Health Services.

More information on Community Mental Health Services


Mind is the leading mental health charity for England and Wales. They provide support and advice, and work to make sure people with mental health difficulties are treated fairly and with respect. As well as being a national charity, they have local branches all over England and Wales to provide support where you need it.

Address: Harrow Lodge House, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM11 1JU 
Phone: 01708 457 040 (local) or 0300 123 3393 (national) 
Web: http://www.haveringmind.org.uk
Email: reach.us@haveringmind.org.uk

Getting in touch

Barking and Dagenham access and assessment team (BDAAT)
Address: Becontree Centre, 508 Becontree Avenue, Dagenham. RM8 3HR
Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1038 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200 
Fax: 0844 931 0133
Web: http://www.nelft.nhs.uk/services-barking-adult-access-assessment-team
Email: mhi.cas@nhs.net

Community Mental Health Team for Older People (65+ yrs) 
Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1016 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200 
Fax: 0844 493 0206

Talking Therapies / Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) is part of NELFT. Offering psychological support to anyone experiencing mild to moderate mental health difficulties. Clients are able to self-refer to the service by contacting 0300 300 1554 for an assessment. If you are suitable for the service, they offer a variety of treatment options. If they cannot meet the needs, they are able to signpost and refer to other services in NELFT and the local borough. For further information, click HERE

If you need advice and information about Adult Social Care, you can call our Adult Intake and Access Team on 020 8227 2915.

Urgent - I need help now

Where to go if you feel you need urgent help with a mental health issue.

Your doctor

Your first stop should be your doctor. They can usually see you at quite short notice if you explain that the situation is urgent. They know your medical history and can tell you where to go to get the help you need.

Emergency duty team (EDT)  

The north east London adult emergency duty team (EDT) provides an emergency social care service outside of normal office hours. It covers Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. The service is designed to deal only with emergency situations that cannot wait until the next working day.

Members of the public and health and social care professionals can contact the team if a carer or a vulnerable adult is in urgent need or requires protection from harm. A vulnerable adult is a person of 18 years or over with a social care need. This can include people with mental health problems, physical or learning disabilities or older people. The service includes but is not restricted to the provision of Mental Health Act assessments by an approved mental health professional.

For more information on the Emergency duty team (EDT) please click here

Mental health direct

If you currently receive a service from a team at NELFT, such as a local community mental health team or a psychiatrist, then make contact with them as soon as you can. It may be helpful to refer to your care plan, which should have details of who to contact in an emergency.

If it is out of office hours or you don’t know who to contact, you should call NELFT Mental health direct.

If you live in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge or Waltham Forest, you can call for mental health help and advice anytime of the day or night.

We can arrange for you to speak with a mental health professional. We can also advise you about what service to contact to get the support you need.

Calls from a BT landline are the cost of a local call. Calls from other landlines and mobile providers will vary and may cost more.

Patient information

Contact our service in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Redbridge and Waltham Forest

NELFT Mental Health Direct
Tel: 0300 555 1000 (Open to callers based in 4 london boroughs for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.)

To visit the Mental Health Direct website please click here

The Samaritans

The Samaritans are a charity who support anyone who is experiencing distress, despair, or suicidal thoughts. They can give you confidential, non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day.

Contact details: 
Address: Freepost RSRB-KKBY-CYJK, Chris, P.O. Box 90 90, Stirling, FK8 2SA
Phone: 116 123 (UK) Free phoneline
Web: www.samaritans.org.uk 
Email: jo@samaritans.org

Adult Social Care

If you need to contact us urgently outside of normal working hours you can call our emergency social work team. You can explain your situation to us and we will decide how to deal with it and help you.

Getting in touch

Out of Hours Emergency Social Work Duty team
Phone: 020 8594 8356

Community Mental Health Services

Mental health difficulties can make day to day living hard and affect your relationships and your ability to hold down a job. There are a range of Community Mental Health Services available which all aim to help you recover and achieve the things that are important to you.

What are the Community Mental Health Services?

We work together with the North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) to provide a range of different services which provide different types of help.

Mental health difficulties can affect anyone at any time in their lives. They are very common and it's important not to be embarrassed about seeking help. Some people have short term issues when they are dealing with difficult events like divorce or losing a job. Other people develop longer term mental health difficulties, or mental illness.

If you are dealing with a mental illness, the Community Mental Health Services aim to help by:

  • Helping you identify and diagnose the problem;
  • Helping you to feel safe;
  • Offering you a range of treatment options;
  • Helping with your recovery;
  • Getting you involved in social activities; and
  • Helping you to feel more independent.

Community Mental Health Services are made up of social workers, community mental health nurses,occupational therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists and support staff.

Who can get help?

You will get help from the Community Mental Health Services if you have a mental health problem that needs treatment or professional support from a trained mental health professional.

Community Mental Health Services offer an "open access" policy, which means that you can contact us direct. However, you should always speak to your doctor first if you are worried about your mental health. Your doctor will ask them to see you if they feel it is the right thing to do. Remember if you are worried you can call them for advice.

How much does it cost?

NHS services are free and it does not cost anything to receive NHS treatment, although normal prescription charges apply for all medicine. The Local Authority may charge for some Adult Social Care services but they will conduct a financial assessment. If you get a Personal Budget you can use it to pay for some things that help you with your mental health difficulties.

What is a Personal Budget?

How do I get in touch?

If you are having mental health difficulties, it is usually best to visit your doctor first. They can talk to you about the kind of help and support you might need. If you want to get in touch with the Mental Health Services, you can call us on the numbers below.

Barking and Dagenham access and assessment team (BDAAT)

Address:Becontree Centre, 508 Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, RM8 3HR

Phone:Tel 0300 555 1038 Switchboard:0300 555 1200



Community Mental Health Team for Older People (65+ yrs)

Phone: Tel: 0300 555 1016 Switchboard: 0300 555 1200 
Fax: 0844 493 0206

If you urgently need to get in touch with the Council outside our normal hours, you can call our Emergency Out of Hours line on 020 8594 8356.

Mental Health Services

If you think you need help, your first point of contact will nearly always be your GP.

Your GP will ask you about your symptoms, and your feelings, and will then direct you to the help you need. Most people will be helped by their GP, either by medication, or arranging for you to receive counselling from a trained person. But you might be referred to one of our more specialist services.

Community health and social care service

The community health and social care service (CHSCS) provides services via three different teams. For further information, please visit the pages for:

For more information on Community health and social care service please click here

Community recovery team

The Barking community recovery team and the Dagenham community recovery team provides specialist mental health services for adults aged 18 to 65 with serious mental health problems. This team is a multi-disciplinary service made up of community mental health nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, psychiatrists and support workers.

The service will assess a person’s individual needs and work with the person to develop a support plan to promote mental wellbeing and independence. We do this through a variety of community interventions and approaches, based upon the ethos of the Recovery Model.

For more information on Community recovery team please click here

Community treatment team 

The community treatment team (CTT) works with adults in the community with an acute physical need who could potentially be treated at home, rather than attend accident and emergency (A&E). The aim of the service is to prevent unnecessary hospital admissions for those people who are experiencing an acute, physical health crisis, for example: exacerbation of infections or worsening of long term conditions such as COPD and falls without injuries.

For more information on Community Treatment Team please click here

Early intervention in psychosis service 

The Havering, Barking and Dagenham early intervention in pyschosis (EIP) service offers intensive and assertive support for people aged 14 to 35 who may be experiencing their first episode of psychosis. We support clients with their current problems, promoting recovery and maintaining wellness, and helping them return to normal activities in their community life. Symptoms may include hallucinations, odd beliefs and ideas of reference, problems with thinking, paranoia as well as disturbances in sleep, appetite, mood and a decline in function.

For more information of the Early intervention in psychosis service please click here

Eating disorder service  

The eating disorder service (EDS) offers specialist assessment and treatment to people aged eight and above (adults, adolescents and children). The service works with individuals and their families to support them in their recovery.

Services provided by EDS include:

  • psychological treatments delivered on an individual basis, to families and in groups;
  • dietetic input and nutritional support;
  • medical and nursing assessment and intervention.

The decision to offer a service will be based upon the individual's ability to benefit from treatments for an eating disorder.

For more information on The eating disorder service please click here

Intensive rehabilitation service (IRS) 

The intensive rehabilitation service (IRS) delivers high quality, multidisciplinary, intensive rehabilitation within patients’ homes following step up from the community or step down from acute or community beds. Treatments are patient centred, goal orientated and negotiated between the team and the patient and interfaces with NELFT inpatient bed based rehabilitation and NELFT community services to ensure a smooth and efficient rehabilitation pathway is experienced.

For more information on Intensive rehabilitation service (IRS) please click here

Memory services 

The memory service offers assessment, diagnosis, treatment and psychotherapeutic interventions to people aged 18 and over who present with progressive memory decline and difficulties with everyday activities. Memory clinics form part of the memory service and they provide assessments, follow-up appointments and reviews of on-going care. They will also offer community outreach visits for those that are not able to come to the clinic.

For more information on Memory Services please click here

Mental Health Liason Service 

The mental health team works with all adults over the age of 18 who present to the acute general hospital (Queen's or King George's) with mental health difficulties.

The team works with the acute hospital team to ensure that physical health needs are addressed and mental health assessment is carried out in a timely way. The team signposts patients to services or refers patients on to appropriate services in primary or community care to ensure that their mental health needs are addressed.

The team works to reduce the length of stay for patients with mental health needs, especially those with dementia.

For more information on the Mental Health Liason Service please click here

NELFT Mental Health Direct 

If you live in Waltham Forest, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham, or Havering, you can call for mental health help and advice anytime of the day or night. We can arrange for you to speak with a mental health professional. We can also advise you about what service to contact to get the support you need. Calls from a BT landline are the cost of a local call. Calls from other landlines and mobile providers will vary and may cost more.

Contact Telephone: 0300 555 1000

Please click here for more information of NELFT Mental Health Direct

Older adults mental health team 

The Older Adult Mental Health Team is a team of health and social care staff with special skills using a person-centred approach in working with people aged over 65 with severe and long term mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, bi-polar and schizophrenia as well as dementia. They also support people over 18 who have complex cognitive disorders.

Their services include:

  • assessment and diagnosis
  • psychological intervention
  • medication management
  • risk management including support where safeguarding concerns are raised
  • care management
  • carers' assessments
  • support and education for primary care teams, integrated health and social care teams and other statutory, voluntary and private organisations providing care to older adults with mental health needs

A range of therapeutic groups (as well as one to one sessions)  are run on a regular basis within the service to support both clients and their carers.

For more information on Older adults mental health team please click here


Perinatal parent infant mental health service (PPIMHS) 

The perinatal parent infant mental health services (PPIMHS) is a specialist psychiatric and psychological service. The team is made up of three groups of clinicians:

  • perinatal psychiatrists
  • perinatal community mental health practitioners
  • psychotherapists/psychologists

 The psychiatric component of the service works with women with mental health problems during pregnancy and up to a year postnatally. The psychological component of the service works with parents and children up until the age of three to address attachment difficulties to prevent complex mental health problems when the babies and toddlers become older.

For more information on Perinatal parent infant mental health service (PPIMHS) please click here.