-A A +A

Claiming benefits

Claiming benefits

You might be missing out on benefits that can help you live more comfortably and independently. We want to make sure you are getting all the help you are entitled to from the government.


There are lots of benefits that might be available to you and it can be really confusing knowing what you might be able to get help with, and how to fill in the forms. 

The kind of benefits that might be available include:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Help with health costs
  • Help with house repairs
  • Help with fuel bills
  • Housing Benefits
  • Incapacity Benefits
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Help with Residential or Nursing Home costs
  • Travel concessions.

Where can I go for advice?

It's important that you have plenty of information about benefits and know whether you are entitled to receive them. A lot of people find they also need support and advice with filling in all the paperwork. There are a number of independent organisations that the Council help to fund that can help you, by offering advice and support.

Barking and Dagenham Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Barking and Dagenham Citizens Advice Bureau service is a registered charity that provides support and advice on a whole range of issues. You can ask for help with:

  • Family issues, like divorce or other problems
  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Welfare benefits and how to claim them
  • Managing money and dealing with debt
  • Community care

The advice service is available to people who live or work in the borough. However, if you live and work outside of the borough the CAB may be able to help you if your enquiry concerns debt and you qualify for legal aid.

To find out more about CAB and what there opeing times are please visit their website:http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/bdcab

Dagenham Citizens Advice Bureau

339 Heathway

Telephone: 020 8594 6715
Website: www.bdcab.org.uk
Map: Link to map

Other bureau locations

Other services that can help

Carers of Barking and Dagenham
Address: 44 Heathway, Dagenham, RM10 8NJ.
Phone: 020 8593 4422
Web: www.carerscentre.org.uk
Email: carers@carerscentre.org.uk

They can offer support, information and advice for carers about a wide range of issues, including benefits and debt advice.
Open: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. 

Disablement Information Advice Line
Address: St George’s Centre, St George’s Road, Dagenham, RM9 5AY
Phone: 020 8595 8181
Email: dial.dagengham@yahoo.com

Help and advice on all aspects of disability, including advice on benefits.
Open: Wednesday 10.00am to 3.00pm. 

Volunteer Bureau
Address: St George’s Centre, St George’s Road, Dagenham, RM9 5AY
Phone: 020 8227 5463

Advice on welfare benefits.
Open: Monday to Thursday from 10.00am to 4.00pm, and Friday 10.00am to 3.00pm.

Parents of Autistic Children Together (PACT)
Address: 27-29 Woodward Road, Dagenham, RM9 4SJ
Phone: 020 8220 0090

Information and support for families with children on the autistic spectrum, including benefits advice.
Open: Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.30pm. 

The Pension Service
Phone: 0845 606 0265

Advice and support if you are aged 60 or over and would like to find out more about the benefits you might be entitled to.

Address: 42 - 48 Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham, RM9 5NU (Main office)
Phone: 020 8215 9630
For more information on the range of services DABD have to offer please visit: http://www.dabd.org.uk/ 

 For more information about benefits, you could visit the Government’s information site,www.direct.gov.uk